THE HISTORY OF OUR SCHOOL
In 1949, early childhood education was a new idea: the idea of a school for such, created by parents and run cooperatively as a non-profit corporation was even newer. Yet such a preschool took root and flourished in one of Chicago’s oldest, yet in many ways newest, neighborhoods. From the first half-dozen pioneering families who housed the classes in community churches, Lincoln Park Cooperative Nursery School (LPCNS) grew through the years in response to neighborhood needs. Since 1975, the school has owned its own building at 1753 North Fern Court, making it a permanent Lincoln Park institution. And just in time—in 1976, one of our first graduates enrolled his son, the first of many legacies. Lincoln Park Cooperative Nursery School is licensed by the State of Illinois, the City of Chicago and since 1986, has been accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).